Lathe Machinist sets up and operates computer numerical control (CNC) machines, machining centers, or manual machines to fabricate metallic parts. Extensive lathe operations require 3-4 years direct lathe experience minimum.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
· Studies blueprints, sketches, drawings, manuals, specifications, or sample parts to determine dimensions and tolerances of finished work piece, sequence of operations, and setup requirements.
· Measures, marks, and scribes dimensions and reference points on material or work pieces as guides for subsequent machining.
· Selects, aligns, and secures holding fixtures, cutting tools, attachments, accessories, and materials on machines such as mills, lathes, and jig borers.
· Calculates and sets controls to regulate machining factors such as speed, feed, coolant flow, and depth and angle of cut, or enters commands to retrieve, input, or edit computerized machine control media.
· Starts and observes machine operation to detect malfunctions or out-of-tolerance machining, and adjusts machine controls or control media as required.
· Verifies conformance of finished work piece to specifications.
· Sets up and operates machine on trial run (prove-out), when afforded, to verify accuracy of machine settings or programmed control data.
· Documents all information pertaining to the setup and operation of each job assigned. This is accomplished with sketches, photos, and written descriptions, and includes the responsibility to keep this documentation neat, easy to read and up to date.
· Confers with Manufacturing Engineering, Programmers, Planners, and other personnel to resolve machining or assembly problems.
· Takes responsibility for maintaining good housekeeping practices with assigned machines and immediate work areas.
· Applies good technical practices to care for and prevent damage to machining and measuring equipment.
· Meets established standards for productivity and quality. Confers with supervisor when problems arise impacting expected level of performance.
· Responsible for supporting and ensuring compliance to ISO 9001/AS9100 Quality Management Systems.
· Must contribute to a positive work environment.
· Performs any task required to support customer requirements and company goals.
Did you apply for the job?